My morning started like any other Monday on the truck; we have our scheduled team call; I pace the range looking for bags I need to get and more or less try to get all the snaps I need for the day. After lunch, I usually stay on the truck, see what builds are happening, and try to document as much of that as possible.
But today Talor Gooch had other plans.
I couldn’t document the loop with any pics because of rules but I can tell you what happened:)
- The staff bags are HEAVY. I know it’s no secret, but I have no idea how caddies drag these things around week in and week out. RESPECT
- On the 11th hole (we played the back 9), we get to the middle of the fairway and realize that the rangefinder pocket is unzipped and the range finder is gone…Talor looked at me and said, “well, bro, it’s between here and the first tee, so….”
Needless to say, I sprinted back about 400 yards, and my little friend was resting there behind the 10th green. Mischief managed.
- Talor plays this little game with his playing partners that I have documented in the past. We pick a putt (players, caddies, coaches, whoever) It’s typically a 60-70 footer. We all putt. One of the playing partners had drained two heading to the 18th…I’ll finish this in a second.
- Talor is an ELITE ball striker. He hit a 4-iron into the 11th and another into the 15th (both par-5’s) that were jaw-dropping. It’s not the speed or even the swing that makes it so impressive (trust me, that’s all there too); it’s the sound and the flight that make it special. Very tight lines, the ball DOES NOT move in the air (like at all), and he always seems to hit the right shot. It’s like Nintendo golf. The kid is a stud.
- The 16th at TPC Scottsdale is a trip. Talor proceeded to rope hook a 9-iron that started at the right side of the green and on the wind drifted back towards the stick, took one hop, took a peek in the hole, and stopped about three feet away. I almost had a heart attack.
- ……we are on the 18th, it’s the last putting challenge, and I’m the last to go…draino—the putter?
What a day. How did I get this gig?